Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Give Up My Liberties for Freedom?

     Someone asked me recently if I would give up certain liberties for more freedom.  At first, it seemed like a normal question.  One second later, I thought, what is the difference between the two words? Liberty and Freedom. I paused. I tried to think about the question but I just couldn't. What a stupid question. I thought. During this thinking process the person who asked the question slowly started to distance himself from me. I must of looked a bit out of it.  And I had reason to. I couldn't stop thinking...what a stupid question. My brain was stuck. All I could think was, what a stupid question.

     That is why I am now writing this. Here are the definitions of the two words liberty and freedom from Merriam-Webster:

Liberty: the quality or state of being free:

a : the power to do as one pleases  
b : freedom from physical restraint 
c : freedom from arbitrary or despotic control  
d : the positive enjoyment of various social, political, or economic rights and privileges  
e : the power of choice

Freedom: the quality or state of being free: as

a : the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action 
b : liberation from slavery or restraint or from the power of another
c : the quality or state of being exempt or released usually from something onerous

 So from here on out, you are on your own. The following articles may help you answer the question that I am struggling with.  Once again, look over the material and think critically. Decide on your OWN.

Article #1: Poll:Majority of Americans would give up liberty for security 

Article#2: This survey found 51 percent of Americans agreeing that "it is necessary to give up some civil liberties in order to make the country safe from terrorism." 

Article #3: Liberty more important than security 

Article#4: Napolitano: US must balance liberties, security

Article#5: A Reguiem for the Fourth Amendment 

Article#6: A little old but still relevant. What We're Fighting For? The difference between liberty and freedom.



A short video can be found here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2014. World Issues Truth . All Rights Reserved
Home | | Contact Us | Privacy policy | About | | Site map
Design by Herdiansyah . Published by Borneo Templates